Thursday, April 22, 2010

Christ's Wounds and Ours


Isn't it strange that when Jesus appears to Thomas and the other apostles, he still bears the marks of the crucifixion? You would think a bodily resurrection might have some cosmetic effect, might erase those unsightly gashes that mar Christ's body. But the resurrection doesn't erase wounds, rather it glorifies them, turns them into signs and trophies of mercy triumphant. This is good news. It suggests that not just my virtues but even my sins and woundedness are the openings God uses to work his redemption. When I yield to God's mercy, then even my experiences of shame and failure will become a cause for celebration, for in the end I will see that each prodigal fall will have been a step closer to the divine embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment